Building Taxonomy: Resources
- MEDEA - Manual for Earthquake Damage Evaluation and Safety Assessment by CAR and Department of Civil Protection, Italy
- Definitions of Deficiencies EERI Concrete Coalition Description of building irregularities and a few structural systems
- Seismic Conceptual Design of Buildings by Hugo Bachmann. A good resource describing seismic deficiencies, irregularities etc.
- Roof systems A glossary of roof terms
- Roof shapes A description of roof shapes with graphics
- The Anatomy of Seismically Designed Structures - 2003 CUREE Calendar A good description of seismic systems
- Rapid Visual Screening of Buildings for Potential Seismic Hazards: A Handbook, FEMA 154, 1988. The document contains descriptions and illustrations of various building typologies (U.S.-based)
- ACI (2010). ACI Concrete Terminology, American Concrete Instutute, USA
- Beall, C. (2004). Masonry Design and Detailing, Fifth Edition, McGraw Hill, USA
- Bothara, J. and Brzev, S. (2011). A Tutorial: Improving the Seismic Performance of Stone Masonry Buildings, World Housing Encyclopedia, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, California, USA - contains a glossary of stone masonry construction and a description of stone masonry housing - applicable to several countries in Asia and Middle East
- Davis, N. and Jokiniemi, E. (2008) Architecture and Building Construction. Architectural Press, Oxford.
- Dimitrijevic, R. (2003). Precast, Prestressed Concrete Frame Structure with Concrete Shear Walls, World Housing Encyclopedia, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, Report 68 (Serbia), www.world-housing.net
- Houben H and Guillaud H. (1994). Earth Construction – A Comprehensive Guide. ITDG Publishing. London, UK.
- Langenbach, R. (2009) Don't Tear It Down: Preserving the Earthquake Resistant Vernacular Architcture of Kashmir, UNESCO.
- Mehta, M., Scarborough, W., Armpriest, D. (2008). Building Construction: Principles, Materials, and Systems, Pearson Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA.
Regional and Country-Specific Resources
- World Housing Encyclopedia: Summary Publication 2004, EERI - Description of key global construction technologies, including structural and architectural features and seismic performance
- European Macroseismic Scale 1998. Description of European construction practices
- NERA/GEM European Taxonomy Workshop May 23-24 2011, Pavia, Italy Presentations on building taxonomies for various European countries
- Field Manual for Post-Earthquake Damage and Safety Assessment (AeDES), 2007. Description of masonry and concrete construction in Italy, including walls and roof/floor systems (see Chapter 3)
- Recent Italian Earthquakes: Examination of Structural Vulnerability, Damage and Post-Earthquake Practices, Maffei, Bazzuro, Marrow and Goretti, EERI, 2006. Detailed information on Italian stone masonry construction practices
- Vernacular Housing in Seismic Zones of India, Joint Indo-US Program to Improve Low-Strength Masonry Housing, Intertect and the University of New Mexico, 1984. Contains good illustrations and descriptions of vernacular construction in India (Andrew has a copy)
- Don't Tear It Down: Preserving the Earthquake Resistant Vernacular Architcture of Kashmir by Randolph Langenbach www.traditional-is-modern.net The book contains a glossary of vernacular construction (Andrew has a printed copy)
- Bothara, J. and Brzev, S. (2011). A Tutorial: Improving the Seismic Performance of Stone Masonry Buildings, World Housing Encyclopedia, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, California, USA